The NBA and NBPA introduced Thursday that Invoice Russell’s No. 6 jersey can be retired within the NBA for the primary time for the league.
Gamers at present carrying the quantity 6 can proceed to take action, however the quantity can’t be reissued. Nobody has worn the quantity 6 for the Celtics since Russell’s remaining season, 1968–69. Boston retired from Russell’s No. 6 in 1972.
Present gamers who wore the No. 6 jersey in 2021-22 (staff/place listed in parentheses):
• LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers)
• Alex Caruso (Chicago Bulls)
• Kristaps Porzingis (Washington Wizards)
• Lou Williams (Atlanta Hawks | Free Agent)
• Lance Stephenson (Indiana Pacers)
• Nickel Alexander-Walker (Utah Jazz)
• Hamidou Diallo (Detroit Pistons)
• Brian Forbes (Denver Nuggets | Signed with Minnesota within the low season)
• Quentin Grimes (New York Knicks)
• Jalen McDaniels (Charlotte Hornet)
• Jordan McLaughlin (Minnesota Timberwolves)
• Kenyon Martin Jr. (Houston Rockets)
• Moses Brown (Cleveland Cavaliers | Free Agent)
• David Duke Jr. (Brooklyn Nets | Free Agent)
• Melvin Frazier (Oklahoma Metropolis Thunder | Free Agent)
• Keon Johnson (Portland Path Blazers)
Russell Naismith is one in all 12 gamers inducted into the Memorial Basketball Corridor of Fame who wore the quantity 6 sooner or later in his profession. Others: Julius Erving, Patrick Ewing, Ben Wallace, Don Barksdale, Chuck Cooper, Larry Costello, Tom Gola, Cliff Hagen, Alex Hunnam, Buddy Janet and Neil Johnston.
The NBA and NBPA introduced at this time that they’ll honor the life and legacy of 11-time NBA champion and civil rights pioneer Invoice Russell and completely retire his uniform quantity, 6, all through the league.
Full launch: https://t.co/jFjZwKtiB2 pic.twitter.com/LdXT4Mf8W7
— NBA Communications (@NBAPR) 11 August 2022
Main League Baseball completely retired at quantity 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson, whereas the NHL completely retired Wayne Gretzky’s quantity 99.
There are greater than 250 gamers in NBA historical past who’ve worn the No. 6 jersey, together with 24 who did so in at the least one sport final season—notably, James, who performed No. 6 and 23 in his NBA profession. alternated between.
Russell, who died on July 31 on the age of 88, was probably the most prolific winner in NBA historical past, an 11-time champion throughout a 13-year profession, and the primary black coach in any main American professional sport. Championship.
Related Press data was used on this report.